Using a 3PL for Meal Kits, Subscription Boxes & KittingOutsourcing fulfillment of subscription boxes, meal kits & other kitting functions to a 3PL can produce labor & cost savings
Customized Fulfillment of Subscription Boxes for Consumers
Today, consumers like the convenience of a “set it and forget it” mentality. They purchase subscriptions for everything from clothing, technology, food, personal care items and much more, have the automated payment handled via their credit card and shipped automatically to their door.
But who handles this?
It turns out that this is big business for third party logistics providers. These 3PLs operate warehouses and distribution centers and can provide customized fulfillment options that eliminate the logistics and billing headaches for their clients. Using
- First, there is the matter of ensuring that you have all the products needed in stock at the correct time, based upon the customer’s order and/or preferences
- Next, each order must be kitted accurately and assembled in a manner that will ensure a positive customer experience
- Finally, the speed of order and fulfillment is rapid
- Often subscription boxes include a combination of items which has been assembled for an individual customer. This distinguishes it from merely being another online order.
What is Kitting?
Kitting is used for seasonal goods such as gift baskets or holiday gift packs as well as for:
- Sample packs
- Variety packs
- Corporate gifts
- Travel packs
- Subscription boxes
- Meal kits
When is it a Good Idea to Use Kitting?
- Ideal to sell items that coordinate, often one that is slow moving with an item that is more popular. Consider
kittingas a way to increase sales or to increase the sale of slow movinginventory.
- Need to have adequate stock of goods
- If both or all goods are compatible to package together (consider potential risk or damage when packaging items together)
How do 3PLs Handle Fulfillment of Subscription Boxes or Kits for Consumers?
In selecting a 3PL to handle your kitting needs, it is important that the company:
- Is experienced in dealing with kitting and assembly and already has the people, processes and facility organization necessary to meet your needs.
- Has the information technology in place for supply chain visibility and inventory control as well as for inventory management including that of raw materials, finished goods and kits.
- Can provide you with the visibility of order and shipping information
- Is capable of de-kitting if necessary
- Can handle track and trace of products in the incidence of a recall
- Can process exchanges and returns if desired (reverse logistics)
- Can provide you with experienced customer service to ensure a seamless customer experience
- Can bill you accurately and in a timely manner for the services needed at the rates you negotiate. Billing should be easy to understand and transparent, not done in a way that eliminates your ability to understand and track costs.
- Has the information technology, software solutions and capability to operate in a highly flexible manner to meet changing consumer demands
Why Outsource Fulfillment of Subscription Boxes or Kits to a 3PL?
- Kitting tends to be labor intensive and can take up quite a lot of space in your facility
- Facilitates a positive customer experience. Enables consumers to experience the consistency of brand impression with customized packing slips, shipping confirmation, packaging, customer service and other options
- Outsourcing reduces the cost of fulfillment, labor and other costs and ensures continuity of care for your orders
- Relying on a trained workforce to handle re-labeling, re-packaging and other services means you are getting workers who have already figured out the most efficient way to handle this type of work, typically producing cost savings in materials and labor as well as in processing and response time
- Enables adequate storage and scalability of operations for your changing needs, key for seasonal demand
- Can produce potential cost savings in shipping and freight
How are 3PL Services Charged for Subscription Box Fulfillment?
Here are some of the bases on which order fulfillment services are charged:
Inventory storage cost
- By the cubic foot
- By the pallet
- Long term storage fees may apply if goods remain in storage for a considerable period of time
- By the shipment
- By the unit
Pick and pack cost
- By the order
- By the unit
- Minimum monthly fees may apply if order volume is too low
- By the kit
- By the hour
Customer support cost
- Flat rate
- By the hour
Some 3PLs offer a wider range of order fulfillment services including the ability to:
- Manage backorders
- Handle recurring shipping programs via auto-ship
- Handle advance orders
- Process re-ships and exchanges
- Manage complex transactions
E-Commerce Popularity Driving the Demand for Space Amazon has set the expectations for consumers for fast, free delivery. The rest of the market now has to keep up. This is having a major impact on how space for warehouses, fulfillment centers and distribution...
Bipartisan Effort by Senators to Share Info on Supply Chain Threats Out of concern for risks to national security, a bipartisan group of senators want all branches of government to share information on technology supply chain threats. Leading members of the Senate...
U.S. Announces Tariffs on $7.5 Billion of EU Goods Following the recent decision by the World Trade Organization (WTO), the U.S. Trade Representative announced changes to tariff rates for EU goods. Beginning on October 18th, the United States will begin charging a...